WE'RE SOLD OUT! but, we would still love for you to join us, more info here: Join the City2.0 Conversation
NEW!: COMPETITION! 5 Nokia Lumia phones to give away.
For one day only, Saturday 13 October 2012, the worldwide TEDx platform - including TEDxCapeTown - will harness the power of people across the globe to encourage them to create a TEDx event themed 'City 2.0' – a day of urban inspiration – to be hosted in various cities at favourite local spots, featuring the brightest local minds and biggest hearts.
In unison, we'll share the stories of our beloved homes: where are the bright spots? The creative adaptations? The transformative responses to injustice? Who is asking the most pressing questions? Pioneering the most complex solutions? Speakers can focus on themes including culture, transportation, education, sanitation, recreation – all elements whose presence will dictate the success of our future cities.
TEDxCapeTown is joining 60+ other cities across the world to address this issue on 13 October 2012. (@tedxcapetown, #cities - #tedxct specifically for TEDxCapeTown)
This event is a result of the 2012 TED Prize - where exceptional individuals with a wish to change the world are given the opportunity to put their wishes into action. For the first time ever, the annual TED Prize went not to an individual, but to an idea on which our planet's future depends: the City 2.0.
Since its launch in 2005, the TED Prize has been awarded to 17 individuals with bold ideas for change. And now, 'City2.0' is the 2012 winner, basking in the spotlight to collate, collect and create innovative ideas around urban transformation in our cities.
Format of the day on 13 October at the Freeworld Design Centre Auditorium, central Cape Town:
Ideas + Action = Engagement!
- IDEAS: TEDxCity2.0 – hosted by TEDxCapeTown – will consist of 8 speakers sharing their ideas on cities and urban inspiration for 12 minutes each. (twitter #tedxct)
- ACTION: There will also be an Action Pitch session to give you – the innovators – the opportunity to pre-submit your idea for urban transformation and then, in front of an audience on the day, pitch the idea that will inspire your local community and the global TEDx network. Applications are open, deadline is 28 September. (twitter #action_futures)
- ENGAGEMENT: There will also be an xLab, an innovative exhibition space, to showcase and engage with inspirational projects that are transforming the city. Applications are open, deadline is 28 September. (Twitter #xlab)
Finalised order of speakers:
- Richard Perez: World Design Capital 2014 (WDC) Director, City of Cape Town
- Blaq Pearl: Artist, Psychologist, Linguist: Against all odds.
- Mak1one: Graffiti artist.
- Marcela Guerrero Casas: Dreaming of Open Streets
- Trenton Birch of Trenton and Free Radical: Music and Cities
- Jared Sacks and Nobanzi Dlodlo: Poor people are the experts on their own oppressive conditions
- Jodi Allemeier: Urbanist: Collaboration for a 24 hour city: designing social cohesion
- Richard Palmer: Lead Sustainability Consultant at WSP Group Africa, the interconnectedness of cities
Pre-party social: Friday 12 October 2012
Venue: Free World Design Auditorium Rooftop
Time: 18:00 - 21:00
Cost: Free for TEDxCity2.0 audience (also serves as pre-registration), R50 for the public (to help cover costs)
TEDxCity2.0: Saturday 13 October 2012
Registration opens: 08:00
Session 1: 09:30
Tea break: 11:00 (snacks by Keenwa, Origin and BOS tea)
Session 2: 11:45
Event ends: 13:00, enjoy Keenwa's lunch special afterwards.
Keen to get involved? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Design your own community. Design your Cape Town.
Ticket sales now open: R100, volunteer spots available: Click here for ticket sales.
Pleas note: Lunch is not included in the ticket price, but Keenwa is offering discounted lunch, and snacks for break time!
Shaper of words and ideas
Head of Design and Content